We live in an absolutely different generation, and nowadays, quality is the most important feature that greatly affects products, services, humans, businesses, etc. Most people prefer quality over quantity or price; quality goods are the first choice of a person. Same is the case with movies and videos, in this modernized world, everyone likes to watch movies and videos in the best quality either offline or online on Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. There are two types of high video quality, namely 1080p and 4k, but only a few know the difference between these two. Today in this article, I will describe 4k and 1080p and will compare 4k vs 1080p.
There are several movies, videos, and web shows available online. Quality is the aspect that changes a regular content into a premium one. The quality of a video makes it more interesting, enjoyable and gives it a professional touch. If the quality of the content is not good, and the picture is unclear and noisy, it may adversely affect the overall rating of the content. 1080p and 4K are two of the best picture quality options used in most of the video content nowadays; there are many doubts concerning these two video quality amongst the people, which we will clear in this article.
4K vs 1080p Comparison
4K and 1080p are the types of video quality; both of these are good in quality but still different. Many people don’t know the difference between the two if you don’t know much about these two display resolutions let me give you a brief description of each.
What is 4K?
We hear the word 4K every day in several places such as on youtube picture quality, gaming, in the specification of electronic devices like cameras, television, laptop, etc. But what did this term mean? 4K means a digital resolution of approximately 4000 pixels; there are several different resolutions in 4k, which are used in cinematography and digital television. The alternate name for 4K is UHD (Ultra-high Definition), the standard resolution of 4K digital television is 3840*2160 with narrow borders, whereas the 4K resolution for use in movies industries is 4096*2160 without borders. The picture quality of 4K content is very sharp, colorful, and professional; 4k quality enhances the user experience. It highlights every detail of the videos, let us have a quick eye on some of the advantages and disadvantages of 4K picture quality.
- 4K is the best video quality available; it enhances the user experience by highlighting every detail of the video content.
- The picture resolution of 4K is very high. Hence you can enjoy your favorite video content in awesome quality on a big 4K supported television.
- 4K quality enhances the quality of content hence giving it a more professional feel.
- To enjoy a movie or video in 4K quality, you need a device that supports 4K resolution.
- You need a very high-speed internet connection if you want to stream 4K videos and movies online.
- 4K resolution does not support ordinary devices and televisions; you need a special 4K supported device to watch 4K content, which can be quite expensive.
What is 1080p?
1080p is all know as FHD (Full High Definition), the resolution that 1080p content offers is 1920*1080. This is the most common and widely used display resolution, most of the television supports HD and FHD. The pixel density of a 1080p content is 1920 pixels horizontally and 1080 pixels vertically, the Indian cable operators broadcast content at 1920*1080 resolution or HD content. Mostly people watch 1080p quality on devices with small screens such as smartphones and tablets. Since the launch of 4K in the year 2014, people started watching content in 4K quality. There are several advantages, and disadvantages of 1080p picture quality let us have a quick look at some of them.
- The 1080p quality is very good and clear; the picture is bright, colorful, and sharp. All details are easily noticeable.
- Most of the LCDs and LEDs support 1080p resolution; there is no need to upgrade to a new television.
- A person can enjoy content in 1080p resolution on their smartphones and tablets.
- You cannot enjoy 4K content on a device that supports 1080p resolution at max.
- When watched on a big screen, the 1080p content looks quite blurry, and the details are not very clear.
- With the launch of 4K, 1080p supported cameras are no longer used for cinematography as they do not look professional.
Difference Between 4K and 1080p
Many people are confused with 4K and 1080p display resolution. They think both are the same, but it is not. There is a massive difference between the two, which is not visible on the small screen; to observe the difference between two, you need a big-screen 4K supported television. Below are some of the theoretical differences between 4K and 1080p.
- Pixels – The 4K resolution has approximately 4000 pixels horizontally, whereas the1080p resolution has 1920 pixels horizontally and 1080 pixels vertically.
- Resolution – Standard 4K movies and videos have a resolution of 3840*2160, and the 4K resolution used in pictures industries is 4096*2160, whereas the resolution of 1080p video content is 1920*1080.
- Quality – When watched on a big screen, the picture quality of 4K content is much better as compared to a 1080p content due to the higher pixels concentration.
- Frames/Second – The frames offered by 4K content ranges from 50-60, whereas frames rate offered by 1080p content ranges from 50 and lower.
- Device Cost – Electronic devices such as televisions and laptops that support 4K picture quality are costlier than the devices that support 1080p quality. The cost of FHD (1080p) devices starts from approximately 8000 Rs, whereas UDH (4K) devices start from approximately 40000 Rs.
- Size – Normally, the size of the televisions that supports 1080p quality ranges from 20 – 42 inches, whereas the size of the televisions that supports 4K quality ranges from 42 – 60 inches and above.
Quality matters a lot as most of the customers prefer quality over quantity & price value. Customers are ready to pay more for better quality, the same as in the case of videos and movies and other cinematography. Viewers like to enjoy the content in good quality, which enhances their experience; the two most used picture quality is 1080p and 4k.
FHD (1080p) is mostly used in devices with a small screen, whereas UHD (4K) is used in devices with a big screen like televisions and laptops. Many people are confused with 4K and 1080p resolution and quality, for such people I have compiled this article where I have differentiated 4K with 1080p and mentioned a few advantages and disadvantages of each. I hope by now you know the difference between the two picture quality, but if you still have any questions or queries write it down in the comment section.