If you are suffering from the dreadful error 0xC0000142 on your Windows 10, 8/8.1 or 7 Computer, this post is specially written to help you. Here, I will guide you on How to Fix Error 0xC0000142: Application was unable to start correctly on Windows 10, 8, and 7.
Just go through this post and you’ll be able to launch the app you have been trying but encountering the error.
- 1 What is Error 0xC0000142?
- 2 How to Fix The application was unable to start correctly Error?
- 3 Final Words
What is Error 0xC0000142?
Windows is known to offer the best possible user experience. However, sometimes the experience may turn bitter and sour for certain users. This happens when they encounter errors that Windows is unable to fix itself. As the users also don’t know how to deal with the problem, the situation turns worst. Error 0xC0000142 is a common error on Windows that apparently comes up when there is a problem with any application. This error appears with an error message stating that “The Application was unable to start correctly, (0xC0000142). Click OK to close the application”
How to Fix The application was unable to start correctly Error?
The most common cause of this error is outdated or corrupt applications. So, when you try to launch them, they start creating a nuisance and the error appears as a result. Other causes of this problem include problematic drivers, outdated Windows, version, a problem with Registry entries, or a virus infection. There might be some other causes too. I’ll list here all the general solutions that may help you to fix the error. Just use them one by one until you find the one working for you.
1. Update or Re-install the Application
The first solution that you should try when encountering this error is updating the app that is causing it. You can update the application by going to the Control Panel or visiting the website of the app and downloading the latest version. Also, I’d recommend that you always keep the Update apps automatically feature of Windows active. If you haven’t, follow these instructions to turn it on:
- Go to the Start screen, and then go to Microsoft Store.
- In Microsoft Store, choose the account menu (the three dots) at the upper right and then select Settings.
- Now under the App updates section, set the Update apps automatically feature to On.
However, if you are already running the latest version of the application, then you need to re-install it once. Just uninstall the app from the Control Panel, Restart your PC, and then install it again. Now check if the problem still persists or it is gone.
2. Repair System Files using sfc /scannow Command
You can use the sfc /scannow command as an administrator to repair the corrupted system files. This may help you to get rid of the annoying error 0xC0000142. Follow the instructions mentioned below to know what you need to do.
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator via accessing the Power User menu by pressing Windows + X key together.
- After opening Command Prompt, type sfc/scannow in the Command Prompt window and press Enter.
- Now, wait patiently until the process completes as it may take some time to finish. After completing the process, the corrupted system files will be detected and repaired.
Once everything is over, check if the problem is solved or if it is still there.
3. Verify Registry Settings
Sometimes error 0xC0000142 is caused by incorrect Registry settings as some applications may unknowingly modify them, and the modification results in incorrectly configured settings. So, I’ll guide you on verifying and repairing the Registry settings. This will help you to get rid of the problem. Follow the instructions mentioned below.
- Press the Windows + R key to trigger the Run dialog box. Now type regedit in it and hit Enter. This will launch the Registry Editor.
- In the Registry Editor, you need to navigate to the following key- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\
- Now take your cursor to the right side pane and double click on the LoadAppInit_DLLs value.
- Next, change the value data to 0 and then click on OK to save the changes.
- Finally, Restart your computer.
Now check if this resolves the issue. It is one of the most accurate solutions against this error. However, if the problem is still there, continue reading.
4. Update the VGA (Graphics card) Driver
Problematic, incorrectly configured, outdated, or corrupt graphics card (VGA) drivers may also cause error 0xC0000142. So, you can manually update the drivers in order to solve the problem. Follow the instructions mentioned below in order to know what you need to do.
- Press the Windows + R key to trigger the Run dialog box. Type devmgmt.msc in it and hit Enter. This will launch the Device Manager.
- Now go to Audio, Video and Game Controller.
- Next, go to Display Adapters and find an entry for your graphics card, which is usually named as the image present below.
- Double-click on the graphics drivers and go to the Driver tab. Now click on Update Driver.
- In the next screen, select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Wait until Windows finds and installs the latest version of the driver for you.
Alternatively, you can download the latest version of the driver from the developer’s website, and then installing it. Once everything is done, check if you are able to launch the application without encountering the error.
5. Run the Application in Compatibility Mode
If all the above-mentioned solutions have failed to work for you, you should try running the application in Compatibility Mode. This is another very accurate solution against error 0xC0000142. Follow the instructions mentioned below in order to know what you need to do.
- Take your cursor to the Desktop Shortcut of the Application causing the issue and right-click on it.
- Now select Properties from the context menu.
- Next, switch to the Compatibility tab and check the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
- Choose a previous version of Windows from the drop-down menu. For example, if you are on Windows 10, then choose Windows 8. Or, if you are on Windows 8, then choose Windows 7.
- Then, click on OK to save the changes.
- Finally, check if the application is able to run now.
This will solve the problem for many of the users.
These are the Top 5 Solutions to fix 0xC0000142 error easily. Some other solutions include checking the PC for viruses or malware using a good antivirus or downloading an older version of the application.
You can also visit the official Microsoft thread related to this error to seek further help. If you know about any other good solution, let me know in the comments section. I hope this post helps you enough and you are out of trouble now.