If you need help to change the WiFi password on Windows, then you have arrived at the right place. In this post, I will guide you on How to Change the WiFi Password on Windows in very simple steps. Just go through this post and you’ll learn some useful bits of information about WiFi Networks and Passwords on Windows computers.
Guide: Change the WiFi Password on Windows Computer
Changing the WiFi password from time to time is considered a good thing with respect to your cybersecurity and privacy. But, not all of the users are generally aware of how to do it. With the ever upgrading settings on Windows, users are often left confused on how to change the WiFi password on their Windows computers. So, to help you with this, I’m writing this guide that’ll be the aid you want. Here, you will find very simple instructions that you can follow to change the WiFi password on Windows.
We’ll begin our guide with changing the WiFi password on a Windows PC using Control Panel, and then we’ll move further to other methods. Keep reading the post with utmost focus and you’ll learn the trick for once and for all.
Change the WiFi Password using Control Panel
You can change the WiFi network password also known as the security key from the Control Panel. The process is simple and very useful at times when you need to update the password of a WiFi network. Remember that changing the security key will not change the password of WiFi but changes the password that your Windows PC uses to connect to that network. Follow the instructions below to know what you need to do.
- Press the Windows + R key to trigger the Run dialog box. Type control panel in it and hit Enter. This will launch the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, click on Network and Internet.
- Next, click on the Network and Sharing Center option from the right side of the window.
- Now click on Manage Wireless Networks present on the left side pane.
- In the next window, right-click on the Wireless Network for which you have to change the password and click on Properties.
- Next, switch to the Security tab and click on the box present next to the Network security key. You just have to edit the text written here to change the password. Also, you can select the Show characters box if you want to view the text. This feature could come handy when you have forgotten the WiFi password and want to know it.
- Once done, click on OK to save the changes.
That’s it. This is how you change the WiFi password on Windows computers.
Change the WiFi Password using Command Prompt
You can change the password of your WiFi router using the command prompt. Doing this will change the WiFi password for all the devices it is connected to. So, you will have to re0-enter the password on all the devices once you change the password using this method. This method will require you to log in to the router. Make sure you have the username and password of the router. Follow the instructions below in order to know what you need to do.
- The first thing to log in to the router is knowing the IP address. You have to use Command Prompt to know that. Press the Windows + X key to access the Power user menu and select Command Prompt (Admin) from it.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the ipconfig command and press Enter. This will present to you all the information about your router. The IP address of the router will be present next to the Default Gateway entry.
- Now open the browser, preferably Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Enter the IP address you identified earlier the search bar and hit Enter.
- Next, the Router’s settings page will open. Log in using the username and password. This will be a different password than the one you use to connect to the WiFi Network. If no one hasn’t changed it since the installation of the router, then it’d most probably be something like admin, password, etc. You can also contact your service provider or you can do quick googling with the model number of your router to know the default password.
- Once you have logged in, go to the Wireless or WLAN section. The interface may vary from router to router.
- In this section, click on the box present next to the Security key or password and edit it. Use the password you want to use in the future here and save the changes. You can also change the name of the WiFi network, the security type and also the encryption type from here.
- After saving, close the Browser.
That’s it. Now just enter the new password on all your devices so they can connect to the WiFi network.
Find the WiFi Password using Command Prompt
You can also find or know your WiFi password using the Command Prompt on Windows. I will tell you how. Just follow the instructions mentioned below and you’ll learn it all.
- Firstly, you will need the SSID of the WiFi network which is the name of the connection. If you don’t know it, you can find it in Settings by going to Network & Internet and then clicking on Status.
- Now you have to create a batch file that’ll help you to gain the password. To do this, open Notepad from the Start menu. Copy and paste the following text into it but replace YOUR_SSID with the SSID of your WiFi connection: <pre
netsh wlan show profile name="YOUR_SSID" key=clear pause
- Next, click on File from the top menu and then click on Save as. Select a suitable name for the file and then change the Save as type from Text Documents to All Files. Then, come back to the name field and type .bit after the name. It will look something like this: batch file.bat.
- Then, Save the file anywhere you want.
- Now connect to the WiFi network and double click on this file. A Command Prompt window will open up and you can see the password written next to Key Content.
That’s it. This could come really handy when you are habitual to forgetting passwords.
That’s how you change the WiFi password on Windows computers. You have also learned additional information like finding the password using the command prompt. If you need further help, you can visit the official Microsoft thread related to this topic. Also, you can freely ask me anything related to it using the comment box. I hope this post helps you enough.