Wireless Printing is the new generation’s way of printing papers and other documents. Most of the newer generation printers have the built-in ability to print pages via the commands given over WiFi or Bluetooth. However, a lot of people don’t know how to connect a Printer to WiFi as people don’t go through the user-manual generally.
So, if you need help with the same, then this post is specially written for you. Here, I will guide you to connect a Printer to WiFi. I’ll make the procedure as simple as it could be. Just go through this and get rid of the hassle of traditional printing.
- 1 Guide: Connect a Printer to WiFi & Print Via PC, Laptop, or Mobile
Guide: Connect a Printer to WiFi & Print Via PC, Laptop, or Mobile
Gone are the times when you had to get up, go to your PC, turn it on, connect the printer, and then print something. Wireless Printers are now ruling the market. A wireless printer is just like any other printer but it has the ability to print over WiFi or Bluetooth by connecting via your PC, Laptop, or Mobile. Most of the new printer now have this ability. So, you just need to connect it to a WiFi and you’ll be able to print from anywhere or any device.
Setting up a wireless printer is simple. But, a lot of people just skip reading the user-manual and end up confused about how to do that. That’s why I’m writing this simple guide where I’ll present to you all the necessary steps that you have to take. If you have a wireless printer at home or office, just keep reading further.
Steps to Connect a Printer to WiFi
The first thing you need to print wirelessly is to connect a Printer to a WiFi network. So, your devices can use this connection to print anything. The steps differ from manufacturer to manufacturer and even printer to printer of the same manufacturer. The exact instructions are usually available on the user-manual or help guide that comes in the box. You can also go through it. I’ll list the general method here as well. Follow the simple steps mentioned below to learn about the procedure.
Step-1: Turn the Printer on. It isn’t necessary to connect it to your PC as you’ll be printing over a WiFi network. But, if it is already connected, then let it stay that way.
Step-2: Now place the Printer within the range of your wireless router. This means that keep it at a place where it is able to catch the signals.
Step-3: Connect the Printer to the wireless network now. This step will vary depending upon the printer you are using. You have to connect to the WiFi either using the Printer interface/touchpad or via a companion app on your mobile or PC. Either way, you’ll need to know the SSID (name) and password of the WiFi network.
Step-4: Once you have figured how to connect to the WiFi network, detect the available networks, select yours, and then connect after entering the password.
Step-5: Once connected, the printer is ready to use. The next step will be to connect the printer to the devices that you have to use for printing. I’ll teach that as well.
Steps to Connect the Printer to Devices (PC, Laptop, Mobile)
Now you have to connect your wireless printer to the devices that you are going to use to print wirelessly. You have to connect the printer to your PC, laptop, and mobile and I’ll explain the procedure for all of them.
On Windows 10 PC & Laptops
- Step-1: Press the Windows + Q key to access the Search bar. Type Printer in it.
- Step-2: Now click on Printers & Scanners from the list of results.
- Step-3: Turn on the Printer if it is off.
- Step-4: Connect it to the WiFi Network.
- Step-5: Click on Add a printer or scanner option on the screen.
- Step-6: Choose the printer from the list and then click on Add device.
On Windows 8 and Older PC & Laptops
- Step-1: Press the Windows + R key to trigger the Run dialog box. Type Control Panel in it and hit Enter.
- Step-2: In the Control Panel, click on View Devices & Printers.
- Step-3: Now click on Add a Printer.
- Step-4: Choose the Printer you are trying to connect from the list and then click on Next.
- Step-5: Complete the ‘Add Printer’ wizard by following the on-screen instructions.
- Step-1: Click on the Apple symbol and go to System Preferences.
- Step-2: Now click on Printers & Scanners.
- Step-3: Next, click on the Plus (+) sign.
- Step-4: Click on the IP icon at the top and fill the necessary information in the new window.
- Step-5: Add the Printer by clicking on the Add button.
On Android Mobile
- Step-1: Go to Google Cloud Print.
- Step-2: Add the Printer to Google Cloud Print. This will allow you to send print commands from any app that supports printing over WiFi.
On iPhone & iPad
- Step-1: Go to AirPrint.
- Step-2: Add the Printer to it. Make sure both your iOS device and the printer are on the same WiFi network.
Note: If the printer you are trying to use doesn’t support AirPrint, then install a printing app like HandyPrint or Printopia. This will allow you to send print commands to the wireless printer directly.
Steps to Print a Page Wirelessly
Now that you have set up both the printer and the device, it is time to test if you have done everything correctly. Let’s print a test page to check if everything is fine. Follow these steps.
Step-1: Go to a PDF or Word file on your PC, laptop, or mobile.
Step-2: Now click on Print.
Step-3: Next, choose the Wireless Printer in the printing options (On your mobile, choose Google Cloud Print or AirPrint).
Step-4: Finally, click on OK and wait until the page comes out of the printer.
That’s it. If you are unable to print, try restarting the printer and this will solve the problem.
Wireless Printers are an amazing advancement in the world of printing. There are many benefits that you avail of while printing wirelessly. For example, you can print from any device or anywhere. You don’t need to go to your PC for any other page you need to print. You can even print pages using your mobile or tablet. There are no cables involved. So, you don’t have to waste time untangling them as earlier. You just need to connect the printer to a WiFi and to your device. This is how you do that.
That’s all for this post. If you need help regarding anything mentioned above, feel free to use the comment box. I’ll be glad to help you further. Also, if you are facing any issues, tell me about them and I’ll try to find the solutions.