Fortnite is one of the most played games around the world. It was awarded as the “best on-going game” award in the Game Awards 2019. The popularity of this game has become humongous. However, the game still has certain issues that make the overall experience a bit sour. Windows users recently reported that Fortnite keeps crashing or freezing when they tried to play. This is a common issue that you can easily fix. I’ll tell you how.
In this post, I will tell you about the 6 best solutions to fix the Fortnite keeps crashing issue on Windows PC. If you are experiencing a similar problem, just go through this post and use the solutions mentioned below and get back to playing your favorite battle-royale.
- 1 Fix Fortnite Keeps Crashing on Windows 10
- 1.1 1. Check If Your PC Matches the Minimum System Requirments
- 1.2 2. Change Graphics Settings to Fix Fortnite Keeps Crashing
- 1.3 3. Stop OverClocking to Fix Fortnite Keeps Crashing
- 1.4 4. Change Registry Settings to Fix Fortnite Keeps Crashing
- 1.5 5. Update Graphics Card Drivers
- 1.6 6. Re-install Epic Games Launcher
- 2 Final Take
Fix Fortnite Keeps Crashing on Windows 10
Fortnite is the most popular game in the world. It is an online multiplayer battle-royale where your main goal is to be the last man standing after jumping on an island. Since the launch in July 2017, the game has skyrocketed to popularity and set several records. Despite being an incredible game, it has multiple issues that make the players suffer. One of the issues related to the game is the ‘Fortnite keeps crashing‘ issue on Windows computers.
It is a severe issue that is very frustrating, especially when you are having a good game but then suddenly, the game crashes and you see the following error message appear on the screen.
This issue mainly appears due to the computer not being able to bear the load of the game because of certain reasons, but may also appear due to uncommon reasons like outdated graphics drivers. You don’t have to worry about the cause. We’ll present to you the 6 best solutions here that’ll work in every case.
1. Check If Your PC Matches the Minimum System Requirments
Fortnite is a visually high-end game that needs a compatible PC to run smoothly. If your system doesn’t match the minimum required specifications, then the game will crash, lag, and freeze on it frequently. Even after having the minimum requirements, you’ll be only able to run the game on the lowest graphics settings. To run the game on good visuals, you’ll need to have the recommended specifications.
Here are the minimum system requirements for Fortnite.
- CPU: Core i3 2.4 GHz
- CPU SPEED: Info
- RAM: 4 GB
- OS: Windows 7/8/10 64-bit
- VERTEX SHADER: 3.0
- PIXEL SHADER: 3.0
- VIDEO CARD: Intel HD 4000
Here are the recommended system requirements for Fortnite.
- CPU: Core i5 2.8 GHz
- CPU SPEED: Info
- RAM: 8 GB
- OS: Windows 7/8/10 64-bit
- VERTEX SHADER: 5.0
- PIXEL SHADER: 5.0
- VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7870 equivalent DX11 GPU
- DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2048 MB
If you don’t have the minimum system requirements, there is no point trying to run Fortnite as you’ll only face issues like the game crashing and freezing.
2. Change Graphics Settings to Fix Fortnite Keeps Crashing
Low or Mid-end computers cannot run Fortnite on higher graphics or video settings. So, if you are experiencing the ‘Fortnite keeps crashing’ while trying to play on higher settings, I’ll recommend that you lower down the video settings. Try to run the game at the lowest possible graphic settings and see if it runs smoothly.
If your game runs smoothly, try upgrading to a higher one. Keep upgrading until you encounter a crash. Use the settings just below the ones at which the game crashes.
3. Stop OverClocking to Fix Fortnite Keeps Crashing
Overclocking the CPU speed and GPU results in better performance of any game, including Fortnite. However, overclocking may also turn negative as it may increase the system temperature and increases power consumption. If you are experiencing the game crashes after trying an overclocking, just stop the overclocking to solve the problem. Follow the steps mentioned below to know what you need to do.
- Step-1: Restart your PC.
- Step-2: Now press the F2 Key immediately at the boot screen. This will take you to BIOS. The key may differ from PC to PC.
- Step-3: Next, switch to the Advanced tab.
- Step-4: Here, go to Performance and then go to Overclocking.
- Step-5: Disable the Max CPUID Value Limit option.
- Step-6: Save the changes and close the BIOS settings.
- Step-7: Restart your PC and try running Fortnite.
Note: If you have tried overclocking the GPU, stop the overclocking by lowering the GPU settings to default values.
That’s it. This solution has worked for a lot of users on the internet.
4. Change Registry Settings to Fix Fortnite Keeps Crashing
Changing Registry Settings is one more known solution that you can try to resolve the game crashing issue. Follow these simple instructions to know what you have to do.
- Step-1: Press and hold the Windows + R key to trigger the Run dialog box. Type regedit in it and hit Enter. This will launch the Registry Editor.
- Step-2: Firstly, create a backup of registry keys before making any changes. To do this, click on File and then click on Export. Then, select a location to save the backup and continue with the process. If anything goes wrong, you have to use this backup to restore the Registry Settings.
- Step-3: Now navigate to the following path in the Registry Editor: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
- Step-4: Next, go to the right-side pane, right-click on the empty space and then choose New -> QWORD (64-bit) Value.
- Step-5: Name the new value as TdrLevel.
- Step-6: Then, double-click on the TdrLevel to modify it. Set the value data to 0. Save the changes and close the Registry Editor.
- Step-7: Restart your computer and run Fornite.
Now check if this solution has solved the problem,
5. Update Graphics Card Drivers
If you have outdated or corrupt graphics card or video drivers, then Fortnite may crash frequently on your PC. So, you have to update the drivers right now to make sure the game runs normally. You can update the graphics drivers on your Windows PC by going to the Device Manager. Another way to do this is to manually download the latest version of the drivers from the manufacturer’s website like Nvidia, AMD, or Intel and then install it.
You can even use a Driver Updater tool that can automatically install the best graphics drivers for you in a single click. This is the simplest way to update any drivers. Once you have updated them, launch Fortnite and check if this solved the problem.
6. Re-install Epic Games Launcher
If none of the solutions above worked for you, the only one left is uninstalling and then re-installing the ‘Epic Games Launcher’ on your PC to fix the ‘Fortnite keeps crashing’ issue. Follow these simple steps to know how to do that.
Note: You will have to install Fortnite again once you uninstall Epic Games Launcher from your PC.
- Step-1: Firstly, right-click on the Epic Games Launcher and then click on ‘Run as Administrator.‘
- Step-2: Run it and then close it.
- Step-3: Now go to the Control Panel from the Search bar.
- Step-4: Here, go to Programs & Features and then click on Uninstall Programs.
- Step-5: Find Epic Games Launcher from the list, click on it, and then click on Uninstall.
- Step-6: Once it is uninstalled, restart your PC.
- Step-7: Finally, install the Epic Games Launcher again.
After re-installing the Epic Games launcher and Fortnite, all the related issues will be gone. This is the ultimate solution to get rid of any Fortnite issue on Windows.
This is how you resolve the ‘Fortnite keeps crashing’ issue on a Windows computer. If you are still suffering from the problem even after applying all the fixes, I’d recommend you to upgrade to a better graphics card or a better PC. One thing I’d like to recommend is to also check if you have the latest version of Windows. If not, try updating Windows as well and see if it works. And, if you have another solution that you discovered, feel free to share it with us in the comments.
That’s all for this post. I hope you find it helpful. Good luck dropping into your favorite spot and outclass everyone else on the island.