This generation literally runs on music. Whether it is a school project, writing essays, or doing official work. Absolutely anything that requires concentration and focus, music is the key! Imagine feeling motivated to do the assignment that you have been procrastinating for a long time, and when you just set on your computer to work you figure out that your headphones aren’t working and there goes down your motivation…and also your grades. Well, we won’t let this happen to you. We are about to discuss so easy and quick fixes for your “headphones not working on Windows 10” issue so you don’t waste more time and get straight to your work after getting the problem fixed. So hurry up!
How to Fix Headphones Not Working on Windows 10 Issue?
Now, before getting into the steps for the issue of your headphones not working on Windows 10. It is important to get an insight about why it could happen, there are several reasons such as a problem with the software, an issue with the system settings, or connection issues if you are using wireless headphones or it just is your computer needing some rest from being all cluttered up.
Let’s see what can we do about it. Below we have mentioned the methods you can follow to solve the issue varying with the causes. Go through it to analyze what could be the possible issue in your case.
1. Audio Settings
If you do not usually use your headphones on your computer, or maybe other people also use the same computer, there could be just wrong settings enabled on your computer and it is definitely a really small issue. It can be fixed within few clicks here and there. Follow the instructions mentioned below to change the audio settings on your computer.
- First, open Settings on your Windows 10 computer or device.
- Now, look for Sound Settings.
- Once you click on Sound Settings, you will see Manage Sound Devices.
- Below you will see all audio devices that are currently paired on your device.
- Now, look if there is a Disabled section below.
- Under the Disabled section, check if you see Headphone.
- If yes, then you have probably disabled any kind of headphones or microphone on your computer.
- Hover your cursor over the title and you will see an Enable button.
- Simply click on it and your headphones should start working.
2. Sound Driver Fix
One more easy way to fix this issue is to change some settings in the Device Manager section on your Windows 10 device. This method could be quite complicated if you’re not much tech-proficient and has to be done carefully as you can accidentally change some other settings if not done correctly.
- Visit Device Manager on your Windows 10.
- Now you will be able to see the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers option.
- Click on it and now choose the select your audio driver under Audio Inputs & Outputs section.
- Give a right-click on the drive and click on Update Driver.
- Now, give a click on Search Automatically For Updated Driver Software.
- When that fails, give a right-click and disable the device.
- Re-enable the device.
- After this, your headphones should be working fine.
3. Hardware Troubleshoot
Sometimes the issue can be much bigger due to which you are facing the headphones not working issue on Windows 10. If you are connecting your headphones with the headphone jack on your device and you hear that sound that comes upon any device connection then we can rule out anything being wrong with your headphones. But if your headphone is still not working, there could be an issue internally. But wait, you can easily fix this if you follow the instructions mentioned below.
- Click Windows + X keys on your Windows 10 and visit Control Panel.
- Search for Troubleshooting in the Control Panel.
- Choose the Hardware and sound under Troubleshoot computer problems section.
- Click Hardware and devices in the devices option.
- Click on the Advanced option on the Hardware and devices then click on Run as administrator.
- Click on the Next button and follow instructions on-screen to complete the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
4. Check Bluetooth
If you are using wireless headphones, there could more issues with the connection than anything else. Bluetooth connection errors are quite common and can be solved easily. There could be issues with the Bluetooth versions of your computer and your headphones being different. We have it all covered up for you. Go through the instructions below to know more about it.
- Visit Device Manager on your Windows 10 computer.
- Choose Bluetooth & Other Devices.
- Turn on your Bluetooth if it’s not.
- Try connecting some other devices that you usually use on the computer.
- If they are working, then there could clearly be a version issue.
You can also try the easiest way possible to fix the Bluetooth issue
- Visit Bluetooth & Other Devices.
- Under the Paired Section, see if your headphone exists.
- Unpair your headphones and re-pair them.
- Your headphones should probably start working.
5. Check Your Headphones
If none of the methods mentioned in this article has worked for you, there could be an issue with your headphones. Try connecting your headphones to another computer or smartphone and see they work. If not, then your headphones could be malfunctioned or damaged. In such cases, you will need to simply replace them with new ones.
We hope you will be able to solve your “headphones not working on Windows 10” issue and get them fixed with the help of the methods mentioned in the article. If you have any queries regarding this article, comment below and let us know.