Facebook has been my savior to remember the birthdays of my friends and other people I know. And, I’m definitely sure that it is the same with them as well. So, what if you want to know who are your real friends who actually remember your birthday? What if you want to stop Facebook reminding people that it is your birthday? In such situations, you find yourself searching “How to hide your birthday on Facebook?”
Your search has led you here and this is just the right post for you. In this post, I will guide you to hide your birthday on Facebook using simple steps that you’ll understand better with pictures. Additionally, I’ll also explain about changing birthday on Facebook and stopping birthday notifications.
Guide: Hide your birthday on Facebook using Computer or Mobile
Facebook is the largest social networking platform globally. Almost all the people you cross paths within your routine life use Facebook. Your family, relatives, friends, colleagues, and all the other people you know stay connected with you over the platform. Facebook sends a notification to all the people in our friend list when it is our birthday. This feature of Facebook has been a savior to many people over the years, including me. And, people can also manually go to your profile and check when is your birthday.
The privacy of birth date and the year is set to ‘Public’ by default when we create an account. So, people on Facebook will always know about your birthday unless and until you change the settings. So, if you don’t want people to know about your birthday using Facebook, you just have to alter the privacy settings of your birthday. The process is simple but a lot of people don’t know about it. There could be many reasons why you want to hide your birthday on Facebook. Discussing them would make this post endless.
Let’s move to the part where I’ll explain how to hide your birthday on Facebook using a PC or a mobile. The procedure is a little bit different on different devices.
Hide your Birthday on Facebook using PC
If you want to hide your birthday on Facebook by browsing through your PC, follow these simple steps and you’ll learn everything.
- Step-1: Open a browser, preferably Chrome, and visit Facebook.com.
- Step-2: Log in using your username and password. If you are already logged in, skip this step.
- Step-3: Go to your profile by clicking on the profile icon present in the top left corner or the top bar.
- Step-4: Now click on About present just below your cover picture.
- Step-5: Next, click on Contact and basic info present on the left.
- Step-6: Hover your cursor over your birth date and click on Edit or the Globe icon.
- Step-7: Click on the down arrow present next to your date of birth and select Only Me from the drop-down list.
- Step-8: Do the same with your year of birth also.
- Step-9: Once you have set the privacy for Date of birth and birth year to Only Me, click on Save Changes to make this in effect.
That’s it. Now your birthday is hidden on Facebook. No one can see it on your profile except you.
Hide your Birthday on Facebook using the Mobile App
It isn’t necessary that you have to be on your PC to hide your birthday on Facebook. You can do that by only using the Facebook mobile app. Follow the simple steps mentioned below to know how to do that.
Note: You can skip Step-1 and Step-2, if you already have the app and logged in to your Facebook account.
- Step-1: Download and install the Facebook mobile app from the Play Store or App Store on your Android smartphone or iPhone respectively.
- Step-2: Launch the app and log in with your username and password.
- Step-3: Tap on your Profile icon present next to the Status bar asking What’s on your mind?
- Step-4: Now scroll down and tap on Edit Public Details present just above your friend list.
- Step-5: Next, find and tap on Edit Your About Info.
- Step-6: Tap on Edit present next to Basic Info.
- Step-7: Go to your date of birth and tap on the down arrow present next to it. Select Only Me from the drop-down menu.
- Step-8: Do the same with your year of birth.
- Step-9: Once you have changed the privacy setting for your date of birth and year to Only Me, scroll down and tap on Save to save the changes.
That’s it. This is how you hide your birthday on Facebook on the mobile app. You can follow the same procedure on the Facebook lite app and Facebook on Chrome mobile browser as well.
Additional Things you should know
Here is some additional information that you should know about birthdays on Facebook.
- You can hide your birthday from a selected group of people by changing the privacy settings of date of birth and year of birth to Close Friends instead of Only me. When you do this, your birthday will only be visible to people added to your Close Friends list.
- You can change your birthday on Facebook in the similar manner. You just have to edit your birthday by tapping on the date and year. Keep in mind that you can only change your birthday 3 times only. If you reach the limit, then you will have to use the Birthday Change Request form to do so.
- Hiding your birthday will turn off the notifications people send to your Facebook friends about your birthday.
- You can also try blocking people from posting on your timeline on your birthday if you are just hiding it to keep your timeline clean.
This is how you hide your birthday on Facebook. Hiding birthdays is beneficial a lot of times. If you are hiding your birthday on Facebook to see who remembers it, then make sure you hid it on other apps like Snapchat also. If you are an introvert who doesn’t like random people wishing you on your birthday, hiding it can really help you. I tried to teach you in the simplest way possible. Let me know your opinions about the post in the comments below.
That’s all for this post. I hope you find it helpful. Feel free to use the comment box if you have any queries or suggestions related to anything mentioned above.