There is little scope to deny the fact that Facebook has brought the entire world at our doorstep. However, the real world, as it seems, has been co-opted by the virtual reality of smartphones. We live in a limbo where the lines between entertainment, leisure, work, and pleasure have blurred. A peaceful family dinner gets interrupted by sudden messenger texts because everyone is always ‘online’ nowadays. But are you looking to show your status offline while staying online on Facebook?
Well, you have come to the right place then. Follow our guide on how to appear offline on Facebook to learn all the bits and pieces.
Why learning to appear offline is important?
Without any hindrance, people get to see each other every day. Even when the world is reeling under a pandemic. And the thing about the modern world is it keeps on socializing, even when they don’t want it. At times through memes, at times through sharing videos, and often directly by chatting. Facebook is the one-stop solution to communication, and therefore, the best antidote to loneliness. However, it is rare that the world’s ways are so easy and come without any cost.
The proliferation of the internet is perhaps the epidemic of the modern world. Today, people rarely get to spend time out of their phones. Sure, no one likes to continue using their fingers to type and over-type. More so when they left their workspace after a hard day’s work. This is why appearing offline on Facebook is extremely crucial to living a life devoid of tension, anxiety, and mental fatigue. And no one needs the feeling of being watched while they scroll through their feed, right? It is not an Orwellian world anymore, and even Facebook knows that. This is why they have made available the option of appearing offline on Facebook even when you are not.
How to appear offline on Facebook?
Well, there are different ways to answer the question ‘how to appear offline on Facebook?’. If you use Facebook from your personal computer, the process is a bit different than that for smartphones. But not to worry, we are here to have you covered with all the possible solutions about learning how to appear offline on Facebook without letting anyone have an inkling of it. Remember, the idea is to minimize socializing and not getting you out of the loop. For the latter, unfortunately, there is no other option but to deactivate the account. But we can’t afford it, right? As our jobs, the news, the recent events surrounding us, and our families, all come to meet on our respective news feeds.
So, let’s start with the simple one: learning to appear offline on Facebook from the desktop.
How to appear offline on Facebook from the desktop?
Please note that if you learn how to appear offline on Facebook from the desktop, you will also learn how to do it from a browser. As you have to access Facebook from a browser, the same process goes for those who don’t prefer using the app from their smartphones. Therefore, without any delay, let’s get straight to the nitty-gritty.
- Log in to your Facebook account with your ID and password.
- On opening Facebook via a browser, you will find the chat bar at the right of the screen,
- In the rightmost corner of the chat bar, you will find 4 options: ‘New message,’ ‘Create New Group,’ ‘Create New Room,’ and ‘Options.’
- The last button, that of ‘Options’ is a gear symbol. Click on it.
- You will find a pop-up window opening. There you will find an option called ‘Active Status’. Click on it.
- As soon as you do it, a dialog box will open. Facebook will prompt you to choose among 3 options:
- Turn off active status for all contacts
- Turn off active status for all contacts except…
- Turn off active status for only some contacts
- Facebook follows the same process for privacy settings for making yourself appear offline. You can choose to stay offline for all your contacts, or any specific contact of your choice.
- Please note, the next time you log in, the active status shall remain revoked, and you would still be offline. To take yourself back online, you got to follow the same process.
Now that you know how to appear offline on Facebook from a browser, we will show you how to do it from your smartphone.
Appearing offline on Facebook from your smartphone
For Android and iOS smartphones, Facebook has two different apps. One is the app which deals with your news feed, profile picture, and all your Facebook profile details. The other app, the Messenger, is one that deals specifically with chatting and socializing. So, we will be showing you how to appear offline on Facebook from the Messenger. You got to follow the succeeding steps to execute the process successfully:
- Open the Messenger app from your phone.
- Click on the thumbnail or the profile avatar at the top-left corner of the screen. Please note, it is where the profile picture of your Facebook account is shown. Tap on it.
- Your messenger profile will open. Scroll a bit, and you will find the option ‘Active Status’. Tap on it.
- Deselect the option ‘Show when you’re active.’ The app will prompt you whether you really want to do it. There will be 2 options: ‘Cancel’ and ‘Turn Off.’
- Hit ‘Turn Off’.
Unlike the browser version of Facebook, the Messenger app doesn’t allow selective offline abilities. But when we want to get some respite from social media, we rarely need that option of selective offline feature, right?
So, we believe this guide will help you through the process. It is absolutely true that social media has encroached our lives. And there’s no denying we need time to de-clutter our mind from the hullabaloo. With these wonderful guides at hand, you will always find time to do so. Good luck, and stay tuned!