Skyrim is a widely popular and highly modded action RPG video game. The game has recently been re-released for different platforms including Windows. And, you can install Skyrim mods in this special edition as well. If you want to learn how to do that, this post is specially written for you.
Here, I will tell you about the different methods to install Skyrim Mods. So, you can install as many mods as you want and make the gameplay fresher.
- 1 What are the Skyrim Mods?
- 2 How to Install Skyrim Mods?
- 2.1 Best Method- Install Skyrim Mods with Nexus Mod Manager (Vortex)
- 2.2 Alternate Methods
- 3 Final Verdict
What are the Skyrim Mods?
Skyrim is the fifth part of the popular Action Role-playing video game series “Elder Scrolls” by Bethesda Game Studio. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has recently got a re-release for almost every electronic device. The Windows version has now got support for the 64-Bit. This has proved extremely beneficial for the Skyrim modding community. Skyrim mods are specially developed tools that can fundamentally change the way the game operates.
These mods can completely change your gameplay and experience with the game. You can enhance visuals, alter the combat mechanism, change the user interface, and do a lot of different things. There are countless possibilities when you use them. A lot of Skyrim original version mods have been moved for the special edition also. There is also an introduction to a long list of new mods.
How to Install Skyrim Mods?
The Skyrim modding community has developed a lot. There are multiple methods available for the players to install Skyrim mods. We’ll take a look at all of them one by one. The best method I have found so far is to use the Nexus Mod Manager (which is called Vortex now). It is the simplest and straightforward method. Other methods include installing the Mods through Steam Workshop or manually.
The new version (Special Edition) also offers support to directly install Skyrim mods in the game. So, anyone can now rely on mods to improvise their experience. Let’s take a look at all the methods.
Best Method- Install Skyrim Mods with Nexus Mod Manager (Vortex)
Using Vortex (which was earlier known as Nexus Mod Manager) is my preferred method to install Skyrim mods. It helps you to keep things sorted and install even the bigger packages smoothly. You can also find various interesting Mod titles on Nexus.
It is a complete platform for the modding community. The platform has modders releasing new content every day, feedback, support, and discussion forums. Coming back to our topic, follow the steps mentioned below to know what you have to do.
Step-1: Install Vortex
To begin with, you have to install and register for an account on Vortex. You have to do the following things:
- Register for an account on the Nexus website.
- Download Vortex from there.
- Install it, run it, and go through the initial setup.
- Now click on Dashboard.
- Next, click on Scan for missing games.
- Next click on Settings.
- Now switch to the Mods tab and set where you want to install the mods.
Step-2: Run Skyrim
Now run Skyrim Special Edition through Steam to the main menu and then quit it. This to give the game a boot to the initial menu to create the essential .ini file for editing. This will ensure that no issues occur after installing mods.
Note: I’d also recommend that you create a backup of your ‘saved game’ before installing any mods. So, you can go back to the beginning if anything goes wrong.
Step-3: Install Skyrim Mods
The next step is to install the mods for the game. To do that, you have to do the following:
- Visit the Nexus website and search for mods that you want to install.
- Go through the description to know about any special measures that you have to take.
- Now click on the Files tab.
- Next, choose Mod Manager Download on the correct files that you need for the mod.
- Wait until the mods are downloaded.
- Then, choose a mod that you want to install and select Install.
Step-4: Run the Game (Set up Load Order if you are using multiple mods)
If you have installed a single mod, then you only need to run the game and let the system do the work for you. But, if you have installed multiple mods, then you will notice that the load order has got crowded. So, you have to set it up as certain mods and files need to load in a specific order. You will the information about in the Mod description.
As I have mentioned above, there are multiple methods to install Skyrim mods. I’d recommend that you use the method mentioned above as it is the simplest, most helpful, and the most stable one. But, if you want to try out other methods, we’ll tell you about them too.
Install Mods Directly in the Game (Only for Special Edition)
The Skyrim Special Edition is released with official support to install Mods. So, it has become very easy for even the new players to play with mods. To use this method follow the steps mentioned below:
- Step-1: Run the Skyrim Special Edition game.
- Step-2: You’ll find the Mods tab in the main menu, go to that.
- Step-3: Find the mods that you want to install, and click on Download.
- Step-4: Wait until the installation is done and re-launch the game.
That’s it. This is another very simple method to install Skyrim mods but it has a drawback that you will not find every mod here. The collection is limited.
Another Simple Method- Install Skyrim Mods Manually
You can also install Skyrim mods without needing any special tools. But, you’ll have to know a lot of things about the game and your computer for that. If you have sufficient information about the game files, mod files, and your PC, you can use this method. Follow these steps:
- Step-1: Download the mods and files from the internet that you wish to use.
- Step-2: Manually copy the mod files into the Data folder located in the Main Game folder. You can find it in the following location: “selected drive”:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edtion\Data
- Step-3: Activate the mod in the Game Launcher from the Data Files section.
That’s it. You can now play the games with your favorite mods. An advantage of this method is that you can use it to partially install the mods.
Install Mods through the Steam Workshop (Only for Standard Version)
If you are playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim older version, then you can install mods through the Steam workshop. This method is not yet available on the Special Edition. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Step-1: Go to Steam and visit The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim page.
- Step-2: Now switch to the Workshop tab.
- Step-3: Here, find the mods you want to install and load its page.
- Step-4: Click on the green ‘Subscribe’ button.
- Step-5: Wait until Steam downloads and installs the files automatically.
- Step-6: Finally, launch the game.
That’s it. This is also a very simple method that allows you to use the mods in a few clicks.
Skyrim mods allow you to alter your overall gameplay and experience. You can make a lot of enhancements, improvisations, and encounter infinite possibilities. This is how you can install Skyrim mods on your PC. I’d recommend that you use Vortex to install them. But, you can also use the alternate methods if you want.
That’s all for this post. I hope you find it helpful. If you need any help regarding anything mentioned above, use the comment box, and I’ll be glad to help you further.