Apple has achieved remarkable success. People are crazy about iPhones. If you really want to know how glorious they have become, you should go through some iPhone stats and facts I’ll be stating below. These statistics will help you to understand the story of the iPhone.
Here, you will find the most interesting iPhone stats & facts that you must know. Additionally, I’ll also drop in some crazy fun facts. Go grab something to eat and start reading.
iPhone Stats, Facts & Insights That Are Worth Reading
Apple’s iPhone have gon beyond just being a line of touchscreen-based smartphones. They have now become a statement. If you own an iPhone, you are automatically considered superior to the major section of the society. It doesn’t matter how many times people get into the Android vs iPhone debate, the value of iPhone and Apple continues scaling the skies.
Here are some very interesting iPhone stats, facts, and insights. These will help you to understand how massive Apple has become. And, how popular iPhones are. Some of these statistics are going to astonish you.
History & Development of the iPhone
Let’s go through the story from the beginning. We’ll start it by taking a look at how it all started and went on to change the world. Here is the complete history as well as the development of the iPhone.
- The first iPhone was announced by late Steve Jobs on January 9, 2007.
- However, the development of the device began in 2004. Apple started to gather a team of 1000 renowned employees to work on a highly confidential project known as ‘Project Purple.’
- Project Purple, which was the project to develop the first iPhone was created in collaboration with Cingular Wireless at an estimated cost of $150 million at the time.
- The first two models of iPhone (4GB, $499, and 8gb, $599) went on sale for the first time on June 29, 2007.
- First-generation iPhone’s back was made of aluminum with a black plastic accent.
- By November 2007, the iPhone was available in the UK, France, and Germany. And, by the Spring of 2008, it was available Ireland and Austria.
- the first generation iPhone was made available in the UK, France, and Germany in November 2007, and Ireland and Austria in the spring of 2008.
This is how the iPhone was developed, released, and went on to change the world.
Launch Dates of iPhones
- On July 11, 2008, Apple released iPhone 3G in 22 countries worldwide.
- Apple announced the iPhone 3GS on June 8, 2009. Since then, Apple has been releasing new iPhones annually.
- They released iPhone 4 on June 21, 2010. iPhone 4S on October 14, 2011.
- In September 2012, Apple released the iPhone 5. And, released iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S in the next September.
- In September 2014, they released iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus. The next year, they released the same phones on iOS 9.0.1.
- Apple released the first iPhone SE on March 31, 2016.
- In September of the same year, they released iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.
- On 22 September 2017, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus were released.
- On 3rd November of the same year, iPhone X was announced.
- In September of 2018, Apple released iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.
- The next month, on October 26, 2018, Apple released the revolutionary iPhone XR.
- On September 20, 2019, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max were released.
- They released the second iPhone SE on April 24, 2020.
iPhone Users & Usage Stats
- As of November 1, 2008, Apple has already sold 2.2 billion iPhones. In 2007, they sold only 1.39 million pieces.
- An average user spends an hour and 15 minutes on his iPhone in a single day.
- In 2018, Apple shipped 217.72 million iPhones worldwide. They shipped a record of 231.22 million iPhones in 2015.
- iOS is the choice for OS for 36% of smartphone users globally. Android is the choice for 63.88% users.
- 50% of all iPhone devices are running on iOS 13. 41% of them run on iOS 12, and the rest on older versions.
- iPhone 7 is the most popular iPhone in the world with over 6% of users. By the end of 2021, iPhone XR is might take that spot.
- iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus are the top-selling models of all time.
- iPhone users click over a trillion photos every year with their iPhones.
- Siri completes over 10 billion audio requests every month.
Demographic iPhone Statistics
- iPhones are available in more than 175 countries.
- Apple currently supports 21 languages on iPhone.
- Apple has different pricing of iPhones in 15 countries.
- The average age of iPhone users is from 28 to 49 years old.
- 83% of teenagers in the USA have an iPhone.
- iPhones held 41% of the market share in the USA in Q2 of 2019.
- There were 101.9 million active iPhone users approximately active in 2018.
- Japan is the country with the maximum percentage of iPhone users with 53.8%. America ranks 2nd with 47.4% and Australia ranks 3rd with 44.9% users.
- By numbers, China is the country that has maximum iPhone users followed by the USA.
Image Source: Statista.
- Apple doesn’t sell iPhones in Syria, North Korea, Sudan, and Cuba, which face trade sanctions from the United States.
Financial iPhone Stats & Facts
- Apple Inc. is worth $1 trillion. Their stock price has grown by 15,000% since 2001.
- They have their headquarters known as the “Apple Park” in Cupertino, California, in the United States.
- They have over 137,000 full-time employees and maintains 510 retail stores in 25 countries as of 2020.
- Apple’s revenue for 2019 was 260.17 billion.
Image Source: Statista.
- Apple captured the 12.4% of the Global Smartphone Market share in Q3 of 2019.
- iPhone XR accounted for 48% of iPhone sales in the first half of 2019.
- Quarterly iPhone Sales from 2007 to 2918:
Image Source: Statista.
- America accounts for the largest percentage of Apple sales. Europe and China rank second and third respectively.
- Apple earned $142.4 billion from iPhone sales between September 2018 to September 2019. This figure was $164.9 billion between the same period last year.
- A report from Q4 of 2019 shows around $33.33 million of the total $64 billion quarterly revenue accounting for iPhone sales.
Image Source: Statista.
- Apple’s revenue for Q2 of 2020 was $58.3 billion.
Fun-Facts About iPhone
Let’s end this by taking a look at some crazy facts about Apple and the iPhone.
- Apple’s iPhone wasn’t the first iPhone. Cisco owned the trademark for a VOIP device that supported Skype calls without a computer.
- Apple once designed a landline phone with Stylus in 1983.
- According to Steve Jobs, “i” in iPhone and other Apple products stand for internet, individual, instruct, inform, and inspire.
- The reaction to the launch of the first iPhone was so passionate that the sections of the media dubbed it the “Jesus Phone.”
- In 2017, Apple controversially admitted that it slows down performance on older phones with new OS versions to boost the sales of newer devices.
- Apple ranks below Samsung in popularity but it earns much more money than Samsung earns with its phones.
- Steve Jobs ordered Scott Forstall to recruit only current employees on the team for the original iPhone project as it was highly confidential that
- iPhone users are the most loyal users to their brand as compared to other users.
Aren’t these facts highly interesting? I know they are.
These are some of the very interesting iPhone stats, facts, and insights. If you want to know anything else about it, you can ask me in the comments. Or, if you know something very interesting about iPhones, let us all know using the comment box. iPhone have completely changed our world. Soon, we are going to see another new addition known as iPhone 12 running on iOS 14, hopefully.
That’s all for this post. I hope you enjoyed reading it.