Facebook is the biggest social networking platform in the world. Due to heavy usage, its servers may suffer an outage sometimes leading to a ‘Facebook down’ situation. Are you having trouble with Facebook right now? If yes, this post is specially written for you.
Here, I will tell you the current status of Facebook. Additionally, I will tell you how to know if Facebook is down, and how to fix the Facebook app not working issue. All your FB-related issues will be solved here.
- 1 Is Facebook Down Right Now?
- 2 How to know if Facebook is down & Find its Status?
- 3 How to Fix the Facebook App not working issue?
Is Facebook Down Right Now?
Facebook is the biggest, most popular, and most used social networking platform on the web. It has more than 2.7 billion monthly active users. Having such a massive audience base isn’t easy. That’s why its servers require regular maintenance. For that, they are taken down. Another down situation comes when Facebook servers crash. In both situations, an outage may occur in a particular region or across the world.
As of now, Facebook is NOT down. It is working completely fine. The website is working smoothly as well as the mobile app. The last major outage took place on 16 June 2020 in the UK and USA, when Facebook users experienced a complete blackout. A recent minor outage also happened on 2 September 2020 in the UK.
What happens when Facebook is down?
Facebook isn’t known as a website that has issues regularly. However, problems may appear occasionally. When Facebook is down, you will not be able to access and use it properly. Different users experience different problems when Facebook experiences an outage. A common symptom for an FB down is a ‘black or white screen stuck when you launch the app or try to use a certain feature.‘
Some users experience the app crashing issue while others are only not able to use particular features such as ‘Stories’ or ‘Messages.’ If you are having similar issues while using Facebook, you may suspect that it is down, and use the methods listed below to verify it.
How to know if Facebook is down & Find its Status?
When Facebook is down, you experience problems while using it. If you are experiencing them, then there are multiple methods available to check its current status.
You can always check the status to be sure that the problem lies at their end, and not on yours. Below are the common techniques.
1. Use the Status Detector Websites
There are third-party status detector websites available on the web that can tell you the current status of any website or app. You can use them to know if Facebook is down or not. You just need to visit them and search for Facebook to know the current status. It will also show you the down history as well as the ping of the service. This is the most accurate way to detect any down.
Here are the websites that you can use to check the current status of FB.
You can also report the issues you are facing on these websites.
2. Check #FacebookDown on Twitter
Whenever any major service is down, you can know about it on Twitter. The same is the case with FB. You just need to open Twitter on your PC or smartphone and search for the hashtag ‘#Facbookdown’ or ‘#FBDown.’ If the hashtag is trending and has a lot of tweets recently, then you can conclude that it is down.
If the tweets are older and it isn’t trending, then the service is working fine. Another way Twitter can help you to know about the status is when you check Facebook’s official Twitter handle. If they are experiencing an outage, they’ll inform the users via Twitter.
An easier way to know if FB is down right now is checking if you are able to use other social apps or not. You can try using YouTube, Instagram (sometimes Instagram may also go down with FB), Snapchat, WhatsApp, etc. If you are able to use them properly, and only experiencing issues with Facebook, then you may conclude that it is down.
When it is down, you can’t do anything instead of just waiting until the issue is resolved. However, if you are experiencing trouble with all the apps, then the problem lies at your end. And, you have to identify and fix it to solve the problem.
How to Fix the Facebook App not working issue?
If you have checked that Facebook’s servers are working fine, but you are still experiencing issues with the app, then I’ve provided some quick fixes to solve the app not working issue below. You can use them to solve the problem and continue your life in the social world.
- Update App: The best solution to solve any app related issue is to update it. Updates are provided to fix existing bugs and improvise the performance. Updating the app will help you to get rid of the app not working issue.
- Re-install App: If there isn’t an update available, then you can uninstall the app, clear the residual data, and then re-install it. A clean installation is another effective solution for the app not working problem.
- Clear Cache: Clearing the app cache and data can also help to get rid of the issue. Just go to Settings-> Apps-> Manage Apps-> Facebook-> Clear Data & Clear Cache.
- Restart your device: A simple restart is the most effective solution for a lot of smartphone problems. You can try it here as well and who knows it may work like charm.
- Switch Network Connection: Switching network connection is also effective to solve this problem. If you are using WiFi, try using FB with mobile data. And, if you are on mobile data, then try switching to WiFi or Hotspot.
- Use Messenger or Lite: If none of the fixes worked, then you can try using another app. You can use Messenger if you want to connect with your Facebook friends. Or, you can use Lite as it is the lightweight and least affected app. You can also use FB in a browser on your mobile.
That’s all. These are some of the general solutions you can use to get rid of the app not working problem.
Facebook has become a part of our daily lifestyle. It is frustrating when you can’t use it properly due to an outage. This is how you can find out if it is down. If it is down, then you can only wait for their engineers to fix the errors and get it back up. If it isn’t, this means that the problem lies at your end. So, you can use these quick fixes to resolve the issue.
That’s all for this post. I hope you find it helpful. Feel free to use the comment box to share your opinions about it.