McDonald’s is the world’s most popular fast-food chain. If you are a fan of having burgers, then you are already their regular customer. The great dominance of McD in the fast-food industry has given rise to certain very interesting statistics. We’ll cover all those intriguing McDonald’s stats and facts in this post.
Here, I will present to you over 50 McDonald’s Statistics and Facts that you must read this year. So, the next time when you visit your nearest McD, you’ll remember and think about these.
- 1 Most Interesting McDonald’s Facts & Statistics
- 2 McDonald’s Stats & Facts About Customer and Sales 2020
- 3 Final Thoughts
Most Interesting McDonald’s Facts & Statistics
There are certain names that instantly pop in our minds whenever someone talks about fast food, one of them is McDonald’s. The term ‘McDonald’s or ‘McD’ (how most of the teenagers like to call it these days) has become synonymous to burgers. But, in its long tenure that is still going with full glory has helped it come way beyond than being just another burger-seller. McDonald’s is now the world’s largest fast-food restaurant company. They serve millions of customers every day and sell billions of food items.
McDonald’s has impressive dominance in the global food industry. No other companies can match it. Their success story is written in the language of interesting stats and facts. We’ve collected all the interesting ones and will present them to you below.
How McDonald’s Started?
McDonald’s has a very interesting history of how it started and evolved into what it is today. Two siblings Richard and Maurice founded it as a barbecue restaurant in 1940. Then, it was re-branded 8 years later into a similar style quick-service restaurant that we see today. Year after year, they kept adding new styles, items, and strategies. This helped them climb the ladders of success fast enough and become the global fast-food leader.
Here are the key McDonald’s History stats and facts for you.
- Richard and Maurice McDonald founded McDonald’s as their first barbecue restaurant at 1398 North E Street in San Bernardino, California on May 15, 1940.
- In 1948, the McDonald Brothers introduced the ‘Speedee Service System.’ They also re-branded their restaurant.
- Till now, McDonald’s mascot was a chef hat on top of a hamburger who was known as ‘Speedee.’
- On April 15, 1955, Ray Kroc who was a franchise businessman joined McDonald Brothers. He purchased their equity in the company. Kroc has the biggest role in making the company a global brand. Both the parties even fell into a dispute for the control of the business.
- On May 4, 1961, McDonald’s first filed for a U.S trademark on the name ‘McDonald’s’ as a ‘Drive-in Restaurant Service.’
- They also filed a trademark for the new “m” logo.
- In 1962, the Golden Arches became the universal mascot for McDonald’s.
- In 1965, the mascot, clown Ronal McDonald was introduced. He played a huge role in advertising to target the audience of children.
- The restaurants started selling hamburgers and cheeseburgers in 1948.
- The next year, they introduced fries and milkshakes to the menu.
- Filet-O-Fish sandwich was the first item added to the national menu. Lou Groen created it.
- In 1968, they introduced The Big Mac and hot apple pie.
- In 1970, they introduced Shamrock Shake on St. Patrick’s Day.
- In 1973, they added Quarter-Pounded to the national menu.
- They introduced Egg McMuffin in 1975. Herb Peterson created it.
McDonald’s really has a very interesting story. It is now a part of our culture.
McDonald’s Demographics & Usage Statistics
Since its inception in 1940, McDonald’s is now a global fast-food industry leader. They have their restaurants working proficiently in over 100 countries. All sorts of people drive by and eat at their hubs. Here are some very interesting McDonald’s demographic and usage stats for you.
- McDonald’s restaurants are available in 120 countries worldwide.
- They have over 38,695 restaurants globally. The number is increasing every day. It is soon going to reach the ‘40,000 milestone.’
- 40% of all McDonald’s restaurants are in the USA. There are over 14,160 McD available in the USA.
- There are more McDonald’s restaurants available in the USA than the total number of Hospitals.
- After the USA, the country with second-most McDonald’s locations is Japan (2975). China (2391) and Germany (1470) rank third and fourth on this list.
- McDonald’s biggest customer base is parents with young children. Teenagers and businessmen rank second and third on this list.
- Females prefer eating at McDonald’s more than males in the USA.
- The middle-class section of society is most attracted to McD.
McDonald’s is everywhere. And, everyone is really lovin’ it. These facts verify the same.
McDonald’s Stats & Facts About Customer and Sales 2020
McDonald’s serve around 1% of the world’s population daily. They sell billions of food items daily. Here are some very interesting McDonald’s stats & facts about their customers and sales.
- They serve over 70 million customers every day. Their customer traffic is more than the population of Great Britain.
- McDonald’s sells 80 hamburgers every minute globally.
- They sell over 12 million pounds of fries every day globally.
- They sell over 1 billion Big Macs every year.
- McDonald’s is the biggest toy distributor worldwide. They distribute over 1.5 billion toys every year.
- Over 22,500 McDonalds restaurants allow you to order via mobile.
- Over 8000 McDonald’s restaurants offer home delivery of food in 47 countries.
- Average waiting time at a McDonald’s drive-through is 208 seconds.
- 95% of the McDonald’s Happe Meals offer fruit, vegetable, low-fat, or dairy-free option.
- They sell 200 coffees globally every 20 seconds.
- McDonald’s use over 2000 pounds of beef and 2500+ eggs every minute.
- French Fries and Big Mac are the most selling and most popular McDonald’s food items.
Top 10 Most Selling McDonald’s Food Items 2020
- French Fries
- Big Mac
- Snack Wraps
- Happy Meal
- Egg McMuffin
- Apple Pie & Apple Slices
- Chicken Nuggets
- Premium Salads
- Double Cheeseburger
- McGriddles Breakfast Sandwich
Fun Fact: You can know how McDonald’s is doing and selling every second by visiting Everysecond.io/mcdonalds.
The most popular fast-food seller has become huge now. There is no one else who is even close to being this popular.
Financial McDonald’s Reports and Numbers 2020
McDonald’s makes a whole lot of money every year. Their growth is one of the most glorious ones in the history of the fast-food industry. Here are some financial McDonald’s stats that you shouldn’t miss.
- McDonald’s net worth in 2020 is around $170 billion.
- McDonald’s location’s land has a net worth of $16-$18 billion.
- Their headquarter is in Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- McDonald’s’ revenue for 2019 was $21.08 billion. Their revenue is facing a decline in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. However, over 75% of the restaurants continue to operate focusing on Drive-Through, Delivery and Take Away.
- Their highest revenue was in 2013 at $28.11 billion.
- 32$ of McDonald’s revenue comes from the USA.
- McDonald’s is the 4th world’s largest employer.
- It has over 2.5 million employees globally.
- They hire around 1 million employees in the USA every year.
- 93% of all McDonald’s restaurants are franchises.
- McDonald’s net income in 2019 was $6.1 billion. This is their highest net income total in any year. The number was $5.9 billion in 2018
These facts verify the financial success of McDonald’s. If you are an entrepreneur, this company can help you to learn so many things.
These are some very interesting McDonald’s stats and facts. Reading them is really interesting. McDonald’s has set an example of how to be successful for everyone. What started as a barbecue restaurant, is now the world’s largest fast-food restaurant chain. If you know about any more interesting facts about them, drop them in comments. I’ll add them up here after verifying.
That’s all for this post. I hope you find it helpful. Thanks for reading.