Spotify is the most popular music streaming service worldwide. It is so popular that the term “Spotify” has become synonymous to “music” itself. But, there is a lot more about the widely used music-streaming platform that you must know. There are so many interesting Spotify stats and facts worth knowing. I’ve compiled all of them here.’
In this post, I will tell you about 50+ Spotify Stats & Facts. If you’ve been an overwhelmed Spotify user, you must go through this post and read these intriguing stats. Or, if you are just a curious reader, these posts will help you understand why Spotify is wildly successful. Also, I will tell you how to know about your Spotify stats in the simplest manner.
- 1 Must-Know Spotify Statistics
- 1.1 How Spotify Started?
- 1.2 Spotify Stats About Users & Usage
- 1.3 Demographics Spotify Stats
- 1.4 Spotify Ranking & Revenue Stats
- 1.5 Miscellaneous Spotify Stats & Facts
- 1.6 Know About Your Spotify Stats
- 1.7 Final Words
Must-Know Spotify Statistics
Spotify has been the industry leader for music-streaming for a decade now. There are millions of users that listen to their favorite songs and artists via Spotify. Since the launch, this music streaming service has skyrocketed to success and reaching new milestones every single day. Throughout the course, it has set new records and achievements that are worth knowing.
We will take a brief look at how Spotify started, who uses it the most, where is it used the most and so many more things here. Grab a box of popcorn and start reading.
How Spotify Started?
The development of Spotify started in 2006 by a team of developers in Stockholm, Sweden. It took two years for the complete development and then it was launched on 7 October 2008. Daniel Ek and Martin Lorentzon founded it who co-agreed on the idea pitched by Martin to Daniel, and they both hired a team to work on it. The beginning was not as smooth as one would consider. A lot of trials and failures were seen before finally launching a finished platform for the users.
Key Facts & Stats About the History & Development of Spotify
- Spotify was founded by Daniel Ek who was the former CTO of Stardoll, which is a popular browser game, and Martin Lorentzon, who was a co-founder of TradeDoubler, which is a massive digital marketing company.
- The development started in 2006 and it was launched on 7 October 2008.
- The name “Spotify” is a combination of two words ‘Spot’ and ‘Identity.’
- Spotify opened Public Registration for the free service tier in the UK in February 2009.
- The service was launched in the USA in July 2011.
- In March of 2012, Spotify removed all the limits on the free service tier indefinitely.
Spotify Stats About Users & Usage
Here are some very interesting Spotify stats about users and usage worldwide.
- Spotify reached one million paying subscribers across Europe by March 2011 and the numbers reached two million by September of the same year.
- As of now, Spotify has reached 271 Million+ monthly active users around the world including the 143 Million+ paid subscribers.
- By 2012, Spotify had 20 Million active users, which reached up to 24 Million in March 2013, and 60 Million in December 2014.
- By June 2016, Spotify reached 100 Million active users and the numbers are still growing. However, the Covid-19 Pandemic has currently put a halt the growth.
- There are over 50 Million Tracks available on Spotify.
- You can choose from over 3 billion playlists to listen to.
- In 2019, over 1.2 Million artists were listened to for more than 100 hours on Spotify, and 169,000 were listened to for more than 10,000 hours.
Demographics Spotify Stats
It is now safe to say that Spotify is a global music leader with listeners and subscribers all around the world. Here are some demographic Spotify stats and facts that solidify the statement.
- Spotify is available in over 79 countries in various regions including America, Europe, Asia, MENA, and Africa.
- The millennials are dominating the Spotify user-base since 2018. The majority of the Spotify users have an age from 18 to 34 years old.
- 19% of the total Spotify users have age above 55 years old in the USA.
- Spotify has more male users than females in the USA.
- An average user spends 25 hours on Spotify every week.
- America has the maximum number of Spotify users by population and Sweden has the maximum users by percentage. There are hardly any young men or women in Sweden who aren’t using Spotify.
- Spotify has the maximum free service users in India.
Picture Credit: Statista.
Spotify Ranking & Revenue Stats
The music streaming giant has been on a track of success for a decade now. You can verify this by taking a look at the huge revenue of the company. Spotify earns by advertisements and royalties mainly. Let’s take a look at some interesting ranking and revenue stats about Spotify.
- Spotify announced the total revenue of $7.44 Billion for 2019 in the “For the Record” financial performance report launched on 5 February 2020.
- Spotify’s total revenue for 2018 was $5.76 Billion.
- Spotify has a market value of about $21 billion. Ek himself has an estimated net worth of nearly $2 billion.
- At the end of 2016, Spotify launched its “largest campaign to date” which was a marketing campaign where it placed large-scale billboards in major cities around the world. The billboards humorously mocked the user’s listening habits and featured fun commentary.
- Ed Sheeran is the number one artist on Spotify with over 61 Million+ followers, followed by Drake with 46 Million+ followers, Arian Grande with 44 Million+ followers, and Rihanna with 37 Million+ followers.
- “Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran is the most popular song on Spotify and “Teen Party” is the most played playlist.
Picture Credit: Statista.
Miscellaneous Spotify Stats & Facts
Here are some Spotify stats that do not fall in any of the categories mentioned above but are worth reading.
- Spotify currently has 44 offices that operate internationally.
- Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of You” became the first song to cross 500 Million+ streams on Spotify in 2015
- In 2018, Spotify invested $560 Million in R&D.
- Post Malone lead the listening stats of Spotify in 2019 with over 6.5 Billion+ streams followed by Billie Eilish and Arian Grande in the second and third places.
- “When we all fall asleep, where do we go” is the most-streamed album of 2019 with over 6 Billion+ streams.
- “Señorita” by Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello is the most played song of 2019 by hitting over 1 billion streams.
- Spotify’s podcast audience grew by 50% in 2019.
Top-10 Most Streamed Songs on Spotify
- Ed Sheeran – Shape of You
- One Dance – Drake, WizKid, Kyla
- Rockstar (feat 21 savages) – Post Malone, 21 Savage
- Closer(feat Halsey) – The Chainsmokers, Halsey
- Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran
- God’s Plan – Drake
- Havana (feat Young Thug) – Camila Cabello, Young Thug
- Despacito (Remix) – Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee, Justin Bieber
- Love Yourself – Justin Bieber
- Lean On – Major Lazer, MØ, DJ Snake
Know About Your Spotify Stats
You can also find out your stats of Spotify very easily by browsing through the official stats website by Spotify and some other third-party ones. These websites will help you find out what kind of music do you like to listen to the most, who are your favorite artists, what are your favorite playlists, and many more fun things. Here are some of the websites to know about your Spotify stats.
By the way, don’t forget to drop your music recommendations in the comments.
These are all the Spotify Stats & Facts that I found worth sharing. You can share them further with your friends or anyone whom you feel should read them. If you know about some more interesting ones that you feel I have missed here, let me know in the comments section.
That’s all for this post. I hope you find it helpful. If you have any doubts or suggestions, regarding anything mentioned above, feel free to use the comment box. I’ll be glad to read and respond.