TikTok is a massively popular social media platform that is scaling newer heights every single day. By growing at such a high pace, it is assigning certain records to its name and have some very interesting stats. If you are a digital marketer, blogger, influencer, or just a curious individual, there are certain Tiktok stats that you must know.
So, here are the 50+ Tiktok Statistics and Facts that are a must-read. You can benefit from these depending upon your abilities. Or, just grab something to eat and read them while you have nothing else to do.
- 1 All TikTok Stats and Facts that you must know
- 1.1 The Beginning of TikTok
- 1.2 TikTok Stats About Users & Usage
- 1.3 Demographic Tiktok Stats
- 1.4 Miscellaneous TikTok Stats & Facts
- 1.5 Some TikTok Facts & Stats About Revenue & Business
- 1.6 TikTok- The Rising Digital Advertising Platform
- 1.7 Final Verdict
All TikTok Stats and Facts that you must know
TikTok is a Chinese social media app where users make and share their 15-second videos. The majority of the videos on TikTok are lip-synced but there are other sorts of videos as well like artistic, how-to, monologues, and several others. It has millions of active users and millions of videos are shared daily on TikTok. The popularity of the app has gone to levels that it was one of the top-grossing apps on both the Play Store and App Store in 2019. This year is nothing different.
Since the launch in 2016, TikTok has revolutionized social networking sites. You can find its videos on almost all the other social networks. To understand its success better, there are certain stats and facts that you should take a look at. I’ll share them all with you in this very interesting compilation. Just go through this post and you’ll find some facts making you open your mouth wide open in awe.
The Beginning of TikTok
The beginning of TikTok is dated to not very long back but only 3 years. TikTok was launched as Douyin in China in September 2016 where it is still known with the same name. The app was launched globally in the following year and merged with Musical.ly on 2 August 2018. TikTok and Douyin are essential the same apps but they run on different servers as Chinese censorship guidelines differ heavily with the whole world.
The app is owned by a Beijing-base company ByteDance where Zhang Yiming is the CEO. The company also owns a massively popular Chinese news aggregation platform Toutiao.
Key TikTok Stats and Facts about its History
- TikTok was launched as Douyin first in China by ByteDance in September 2016 under the name A.me. Later, it rebranded to Douyin in December of the same year.
- It took 200 days to develop TikTok.
- In September 2017, TikTok was released globally.
- TikTok then merged with Musical.ly which was another lip-sync video creation platform on August 2, 2018, after spending around $1 Billion to buy it.
- Until the end of 2018, it was operating in more than 150 countries and was available in around 75 languages.
That’s just about the beginning. Since then, it has come a very long way in a very short time. But how it happened? Let’s find everything out.
TikTok Stats About Users & Usage
Let’s take a look at the TikTok stats about the users and usage. With TikTok having millions of users in over 150 countries worldwide, there are many interesting points that you’d like to note.
- The TikTok app has 100,000,000+ downloads on Play Store with an average rating of 4.5 stars with 55,17,545 reviews. The numbers and ratings are very similar in the App Store. It was ranked as the most downloaded app in the App Store in Q1 of 2019 with more than 33 million downloads.
Picture Credits: SensorTower
- Tiktok has more than 800 million active users worldwide.
- 90% of the TikTok users access the app daily without missing even a single day. The majority of them use it before sleeping.
- An average TikTok user spends 52 minutes on the app daily and opens it 8 times a day.
- Over 75% of the TikTok users have posted a video at least once.
- More than 2 Million videos are uploaded on TikTok daily and billions of views are generated combined over them.
- It is one of the most used social networking platforms only bettered by Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
That was about the users and usage of the app. Now let’s move further and find out who are the people and what are the places where the app is loved more.
Demographic Tiktok Stats
After TikTok was made available for the global audience, it skyrocketed to success. But, the majority of this came from a certain group of people and locations. Let’s find what age group of people love TikTok the most and where it is most popular.
- TikTok is now available in 154 countries and in 75 different languages worldwide.
- It is most popular in India with 120 Million+ active users, followed by the USA having 60 Million+ active users, and Turkey having 30 Million+ active users.
- Other countries where TikTok is massively popular are Russia, Mexico, Brazil, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia respectively.
- TikTok is most popular among the people born from 1997 to 2012, also known as Generation Z. 60% of the TikTok users are from Gen Z.
- 60% of the TikTok audience is aged between 16 to 24 years, 26% are between 25 to 44 years and only 14% above 44 years of age.
- There are more female users on TikTok than males with a Male to Female ration of 60:40.
This is the demographic information about TikTok that was worth knowing.
Miscellaneous TikTok Stats & Facts
There are certain TikTok Stats and Facts that do not fall into any category. But, they are still worth reading and sharing with your friends or acquaintances. Let’s take a look at them.
- Loren Gray is the most popular TikTok star with more than 40 Million+ followers, followed by Zach King with 34 Million+ and Baby Ariel with 32 Million+ followers.
- Other names on this list are Riyaz Ali (28.2 million), Charli D’Amelio (24.9 million), Kristen Hancher (23.4 million), and Gilmher Croes (23.2 million), and Flighthouse (22.5 million).
- Riyaz Ali is the most famous TikTok star in India. Other big names from India include Nisha Guragain, Awez Darbar, Arishfa Khan, Jannat Zubair Rehmani, Avneet Kaur, Garima Chaurasia, and Sameeksha Sud. Earlier, Faisal Shaikh (Mr. Faisu) was the most popular Indian TikTok celeb but his account got suspended due to certain reasons.
- Most viewed TikTok video is by Zach King having more than 2.1 billion+ views and 10 million+ likes.
- TikTok has the highest social media engagement rate per post.
- Husky is the most popular dog breed on TikTok.
- Facebook has launched Lasso in the USA to provide competition to TikTok but their app is nowhere near in terms of popularity and usage.
- According to certain reports that weren’t confirmed, TikTok pays $500 to influencers popular on other platforms to create content on TikTok.
- Music Producers and Song makers are using TikTok to promote their songs by paying the TikTok stars.
I bet some of these made you drop your jaws.
Some TikTok Facts & Stats About Revenue & Business
TikTok is one of the most successful and top-grossing apps of the previous year and Quarter 1 one of 2020 also. Here are facts and stats related to the revenue and business of TikTok.
- TikTok was able to gross $176.9 million in 2019 hat is 71 percent of its all-time total of $247.6 million.
Picture Credits: SensorTower
- The popular TikTok influencers earn as much as $200,000 per 60-second post. This money is forecasted to increase massively in 2021.
- Before the launch of TikTok ads, users had spent over $50 million on TikTok. It gained a major increase of up to 500% for the in-app spendings from May 2018 to April 2019.
- The parent company of TikTok, Bytedance, has a net worth of more than $13 billion.
It is safe to say now that TikTok is a billion-dollar entity now.
TikTok- The Rising Digital Advertising Platform
TikTok announced TikTok Ads in early 2019 and the plan is still under development. Now, you can advertise on TikTok and the results for brands using it has been marvelous. It costs $10 per CPM (cost per 1000 views) to start an ad on TikTok and they require you to spend a minimum of $500 on a campaign. This may seem pretty high for small businesses but the large ones find it worth their money. More and more brands and businesses are getting attracted to the platform.
After the massive growth of Instagram and Snapchat as Digital Advertisers, TikTok is the next big thing in the industry. There are certain things like Hashtag challenges, Filters, Glasses, and other campaigns that brands can make the most from.
So these are some very interesting TikTok stats and facts. The most fascinating fact is that you may not realize but you daily spend your time watching TikTok videos, it isn’t necessary that you watch it on their app but anywhere like Instagram, Youtube, or on someone’s story. There may be a lot of cringe-worthy videos on the platform but there is much more to explore. Especially, when it is the growing medium for marketing.
That’s all for this post. If you know about some more facts about TikTok, let me know using the comment box. Also, if you need any help regarding anything mentioned here, I’ll be glad to help you more.