Twitch Chat Logs play an essential part in your time on Twitch, especially if you are a streamer. It works similarly to the DM (Direct Message) feature of other platforms. If you want to view the text messages that people who view your streams send you, you will have to go through the Chat Logs.
In this post, I will guide you on how to check anyone’s chat history on Twitch as it is tough to check the chat continuously while you are streaming. A lot of streamers decide to even show the logs to their audience in order to boost engagement. It is up to you how you want to utilize them.
- 1 What is Twitch Chat Logs?
- 2 How to Check Chat History with Twitch Logs?
- 3 Final Words
What is Twitch Chat Logs?
Twitch is a widely used streaming platform that allows users to stream gaming as well as other content and interact with their audience. Twitch Chat is an essential part of the platform that allows streamers to connect with their viewers directly. The viewers can send you text messages that you can read. Twitch keeps a complete record of this chat and it is known as Chat Logs.
Twitch Chat Logs play a critical role in creating a safe and light viewing atmosphere for the viewers. It helps you to pick and ban the bad elements from your account. The Chat Logs also carry invaluable information about user feedback and responses that are important for your overall growth.
That’s why it is essential that you learn how to utilize Twitch Logs to check anyone’s chat history.
Why you should use Twitch Chat Logs?
A lot of Twitch streamers overlook the importance of Chat Logs on Twitch. However, one should not do that as they are precious for the growth of your personal brand. There are many benefits that you can reap from the Chat Logs. Let’s take a look at some of the most common ones:
- Allow you to check inappropriate comments & ban the user– You can go through the chat to find and remove any inappropriate comments that may violate Twitch’s Terms of Services to protect your channel.
- Re-evaluate Disciplinary Actions– Sometimes the mods take inappropriate disciplinary actions against your viewers. You can re-evaluate them through Logs.
- Find Memes & Content Ideas– They are a great source to get some hilarious memes, contents ideas, new username ideas, and many more things.
- Receive Audience Feedback– You can find the feedback from your viewers on what you should improve on your channel through the Logs.
- Collect & Evaluate Data– Chat Logs also works as a great source to find what content your audience likes and what it doesn’t. You can collect and evaluate all such data to grow your channel.
How to Check Chat History with Twitch Logs?
There are multiple ways to check anyone’s chat history with Twitch Logs. You can do it manually or through the help of tools. However, if you are a Mod, the methods are limited. But, if you own the channel, there are many ways available.
Earlier, Twitch allowed anyone to check a channel’s chat history with tools like OverRustle. After May 2020, Twitch made amendments to its policy, and it became impossible for people to stalk a channel’s Chat Logs.
(1) Check Chat History as a Moderator
Channel Moderators are allowed to check an individual viewer’s chat logs. To do that, follow these steps:
- Click on the sword icon present on the lower part of the screen to enter ‘Moderator View.’
- Now click on a user’s name.
- You can now see the user’s complete chat history on the channel.
- Just scroll here to find any messages, bans, comments, reports, and even timeouts.
The procedure is very simple.
(2) Check Chat History as a Channel Owner
If you want to check the chat logs of your own channel, you have a number of options available. I have listed all of them below. You can use the one that seems the most suitable to you.
(i) Manually View Chat Logs
The simplest way is to check the logs manually to read the chat history. Follow these steps:
- Visit Twitch, and log in to your account.
- Navigate to the right side of the screen and click on ‘Channel Options.’
- Next, navigate to Chats.
- A new window will open which will display all the chat logs of your account.
That’s it. You can now go through any user’s chat from here.
(ii) Try User Search Command
Using “User Search Commands” is another simple way to find comments from any specific user on your channel. To do that, you just have to type ‘command /user [username]‘ in the channel’s chatbox and Twitch will display all the useful data about the user. This data includes the user’s messages, data of account creation, their timeouts, bans, and the comments left by your mods about the user.
It is a very useful method if you want to catch and remove a user who is trying to harm your channel.
(iii) Use a Chatbot
Chatbots are very helpful on Twitch. They are automated tools that can help you perform certain tasks. Nightbot is a chatbot that allows you to moderate and filter your chat. There is another chatbot known as ChatLogger that saves your Twitch Logs, and you can view them in your free time.
You have to activate the chatbots in order to make them work. They will not collect any data or perform their given task if they are inactive.
(iv) Use a Third-Party Tool
A lot of Twitch streamers rely on third-party programs to track their chat. Chatty is a very popular chat software that offers a long list of features to help streamers and moderators track the chat of their channel. The interface of this tool is simple and offers a learning curve.
However, Chatty doesn’t save your chats by default. You have to activate it. It also deletes older messages after some time. There are several other tools available as well.
(v) Playback VODs
Recording and playing back your VODs is the only way to check the complete chat logs for a streaming session currently. It allows you to even view comments that were removed by a Mod.
However, this method is very time-consuming as you will have to go through the entire video. You can save your time by having an idea of the time of the comment you are trying to find.
Twitch Chat Logs are essential for any streamer on Twitch as they allow them to interact with their streamers, receive their feedback, and gather ideas. This is how you can view logs to check anyone’s chat history on your channel. I’d recommend using chatbots and third-party programs for general streams. But, if you are trying to find something specific, manual ways are better.
That’s all from my side. I hope it helps you enough. Feel free to use the comment box to share your opinions about it.