Twitter is one of the most prominent sources of our generation to know what’s happening around the world. It has become the ‘voice of the masses.’ This expansive usage has arisen some very interesting Twitter stats and facts. If we’ll keep looking for them, there can be countless of them. However, we have collected the most intriguing and must-know ones. And, we will present them here.
In this post, I will tell you about 50+ very interesting Twitter Statistics & Facts that you shouldn’t miss. You can go through these to understand how powerful Twitter has become in 2020.
- 1 Most Interesting Twitter Statistics & Facts for You
- 2 Final Take
Most Interesting Twitter Statistics & Facts for You
Social networking has played an essential role in the development of the world. Twitter is one of those social networks that have great importance today. What started as an experimental social networking service inspired by Flickr turned out to become one of the most important social networks of the 21st century. From politicians to organizations, celebrities to their fans, students, common men, and every other section of society now engage on Twitter.
Whatever happens in the world first comes on Twitter. Twitter is basically a microblogging and social networking service. But, it has gone way beyond that now. It has become an essential part of our lives. We’d take a look at the stats and facts about Twitter that will tell you about its history, users, finances, and many more interesting things.
Twitter Stats & Facts About its History, Growth, and Acquisitions
Here is the story of how Twitter started and grew into what it is today. Just go through these statistics and you’ll know the origin and evolution of the platform.
- Jack Dorsey (who is currently the CEO of Twitter) created Twitter with Noah Glass, Biz Stone, and Evan Williams in March 2006.
- It was launched as “twttr” in July of the same year. The service was renamed to “Twitter” after six months of the launch.
- Jack Dorsey sent the first tweet on March 21, 2006.
- Hashtags debuted on Twitter in August 2007. It was first proposed by the user @chrismessina.
- In the 2007 South by Southwest Interactive (SXSWi) conference, Twitter usage increased from 20,000 tweets per day to 60,000.
- On January 22, 2010, NASA astronaut T. J. Creamer posted the first unassisted off-Earth Twitter message from the International Space Station.
- By February 2010, Twitter users were sending 50 million tweets per day.
- On April 11, 2010, Twitter acquired Atebits.
- Twitter crossed 100 million monthly active users in September 2011.
- By 2012, over 100 million users were posing around 340 million tweets a day. It was also handling an average of 1.6 billion search queries a day.
- Twitter went public in 2013.
- In 2013, Twitter became one of the ’10 most visited websites.’ By then, it was described as the “SMS of the Internet.”
- On January 28, 2013, Twitter acquired Crashlytics. It also acquired Vine in the same month.
- In 2013, Twitter also acquired Trendrr and MoPub.
- The next year, in 2014, it acquired Mitro.
- On March 13, 2015, Twitter acquired Periscope.
- In June 2016, Twitter acquired Magic Pony for $15o million.
- By 2018, It gained over 321 million monthly active users.
This is how Twitter evolved into how we see and use it today.
Demographic Twitter Statistics
Here are some Demographic Twitter statistics that’ll help you understand the mass coverage this platform holds.
- Twitter is available in more than 200 countries worldwide.
- 92.23% of the UN member countries have some sort of Twitter presence.
- The countries that use Twitter the most are the USA (64.2 million users), Japan (48.45 million users), Russia (23.55 million users), and the UK (17.75 million users).
- Twitter is available in 33 different languages.
- 75% of the Twitter users in 2020 are outside the USA.
- India is expected to have over 15 million active users by 2020.
- In 2020, 39% of Twitter users are female and 61% of the users are male.
- 24% of Americans use Twitter.
Picture Source: Pew Research Center
- 38% of Twitter users are between the ages of 18 and 29. 26% of users are 30-49 years old.
- 56% of Twitter users earn $50,000 and more in a year.
- 80% of Twitter users are affluent millennials.
Twitter is popular everywhere. These facts are verifying the same.
Twitter Facts and Numbers About Users & Usage
The number of Twitter users is growing day by day. Hence, the same is the case for tweets and retweets. Take a look at these user and usage Twitter stats to understand that better.
- Twitter is the 10th most downloaded app of the decade (2010-2019).
Picture Credit: App Annie
- Twitter has more than 340 million monthly active users. And, it has over 152 million daily active users.
- Over 1.35 billion Twitter accounts exist.
- Over 500 million tweets are sent every day. This means that 6000 tweets are sent every second.
- 391 million+ accounts have no followers on Twitter.
- Only 550 million users have every tweeted via Twitter.
- 80% of Twitter users use it through their mobile.
- An average user uses Twitter for 9 minutes a day. A single session lasts for 3.39 minutes.
Picture Credit: Oberlo/ Fact Credit: Statista
- 40 years is the average age of a Twitter user.
- 707 is the average number of followers on Twitter.
- Over 500 million people visit Twitter without logging in every month.
- Taylor Swift is known as the most influential person on Twitter. Donald Trump and Narendra Modi rank 2nd and 3rd on this list respectively.
If you are a Twitter user, you are an important part of these stats. This is a fun fact.
Top 10 Twitter Accounts with Most Followers
- Barack Obama (118.2 million followers)
- Justin Beiber (111.7 million followers)
- Katy Perry (108.4 million followers)
- Rihanna (96.9 million followers)
- Taylor Swift (86.2 million followers)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (85 million followers)
- Lady Gaga (81.5 million followers)
- Ellen DeGeneres (80.1 million followers)
- Donald J. Trump (80.7 million followers)
- Ariana Grande (74.1 million followers)
Financial & Marketing Twitter Statistics
Twitter is very influential for brands and marketing. Therefore, it is also one of the most valued companies in the world. Here are some financial and marketing statistics that you shouldn’t miss.
- Twitter, Inc. is based in San Francisco, California. It has more than 25 offices around the world.
- It has over 4,600 employees.
- Twitter’s annual revenue for 2019 was $3.46 billion. The figure was $3 billion in 2018.
- The highest revenue for Twitter in a quarter was $717 million in Q4, 2015.
- Jack Dorsey has a net worth of $4.8 billion.
- Twitter prices its IPO at $32 per share.
- 92% of the companies on Twitter tweet more than once a day. 42% of them tweet 1 to 5 times a day. Only 19% of them tweet 6 to 10 times a day.
- 66% of US companies with 100+ employees use Twitter for marketing.
- 80% of the Twitter users have mentioned a brand in their tweets at least once.
- Companies that use Twitter for customer service has more customer satisfaction (19%↑).
- $77.5 million was spent on Twitter ads in 2019. In 2018, the figure was $78.1 million.
If you are a brand or business owner, you can surely reap benefits from Twitter.
Fun Facts About Twitter 2020
Here are some random fun facts about Twitter. These do not fall in any specific category. So, I’m listing them here separately.
- The term ‘Twitter’ has two meanings. ‘A short burst of inconsequential information,’ and ‘chirps from birds.’
- Twitter usage spikes up by more than 50% whenever a prominent event like the FIFA Football Worldcup, ICC Cricket Worldcup, Tech Expos, etc is going on.
- The “laughing with tears of joy emoji ( 😂)” is the most popular emoji on Twitter. I guess it is the most popular emoji on any social networking app.
- The most retweeted tweet is from a Japanese billionaire offering cash prizes. It has over 5.5 million retweets.
- Tweets that have images get 150% more retweets.
- Tweets with GIFs have 55% more engagement.
- Only 2% of the tweets contain GIFs.
- 75% of users say that they use Twitter to get news.
- A single Twitter account can tweet 2400 times a day.
Aren’t these facts really fun to read? I know they are.
These are all the amazing Twitter stats and facts that you should read in 2020. I hope you enjoyed reading these and find them useful in any way. If you know about some more interesting facts about Twitter, you can tell me in the comments. I’ll add them here, after verifying them.
That’s all for this post.